Laminate flooring refers to a flooring technique, which is traditionally available in large square tiles and planks for easy installation. These pieces of tiles can be sliced-fit in any irregular shaped area on the floor. Generally, laminate flooring floats over a sub-floor on a layer of plastic or foam. This helps in insulating against sound, temperature as well as moisture penetration. According to the data by the sales manufacturers of laminate flooring in the United States, there was an increase of 5% in volume of laminate flooring from the previous year to 957.5 million square feet; however the overall U.S market value of the same category decreased by 2.2% to $880.9 million square feet. This is as per the study conducted by Catalina Research.
Benefits of laminate flooring
There are several benefits associated with laminate flooring:
- i) Maintenance: Laminates are dependable and durable. They can endure high traffic regions without denting or dulling. Usually, they have a high resistance to stains, impacts, scratches of day-to-day use; making the flooring easier to manage and clean using simple cleaning techniques.
- ii) Cost: Compared to hardwood flooring, laminate flooring is relatively cheap. Both major manufacturers of laminates charge reasonable prices making it easier to get new flooring on a small budget.
iii) Molding: Majority of laminate designs use similar molding to make it easier to design your room. Using other materials to design your room can either be impossible or difficult to have a matching mold. This makes it hard to make decisions on the flooring design. There are a variety of laminate flooring designs, which homeowners can select from.
Common mistakes when buying or installing laminate flooring:
When buying or installing laminate flooring, there are some common mistakes that people make.
- i) Selecting poor quality: Although laminate floors are usually inexpensive, there are various types of laminate floors and not all of them have the same quality. It would be appropriate to enquire from a genuine contractor about which brands of laminate flooring to use. You can also enquire from neighbors who have used laminate flooring to get first-hand information on how it may appear in your own home. It would also be appropriate to know that several earlier designs of laminate flooring were produced using melamine resin that produced formaldehyde fumes after they had been installed. However, even though higher quality materials are costly, they are durable, safer and save you more cash in the long run.
- ii) Not preparing the subfloor: prior to installation, the subfloor needs to be prepared. It should be undamaged, flat and clean. It is commonsense that any installation on a damaged subfloor may just destroy the floor resulting into costly replacements or repairs in the future.
iii) Tapping on the planks: Laminate floors of the most current years are designed to fit each other perfectly. Hence, unless the manufacturer instructs you, there is no need to tap on the planks. This might just destroy the locking system which results in improperly locked planks. In case that occurs, then your floor may begin to buckle after just a few weeks.
- iv) Installing faulty planks: Prior to installing the laminates, it is essential to check all the planks for any likely faults that may occur. This will make sure that you get all the precise patterns or styles. Installing a faulty laminate will simply lessen its lifespan and it may lead to regular repairs in the future. Majority of manufacturers will not be responsible for any replacements as well as labor costs for faulty planks that have been installed already. Therefore, inspect the laminates first and if you realize that there are some damages, then you need to instantly contact the supplier.
Finally, if you are searching for stylish flooring at your home that will not need repair or replacement or even break the bank within a short period of time, then laminate flooring will be the perfect option for you. It is a durable flooring design, which can survive pets, children as well as day-to-day life without sacrificing budget, style, design or beauty.